Angel Kunchev house Slaveikova house Raikova house Daskalova house Icon museum Asian and African art Kazakov gallery Woodcarving workshop

   The most imposing building in the square is the Old Tryavna School. Built during the period from 1836 to 1839, it was among the first secular schools in Bulgaria. Petko Slaveykov, the great Bulgarian poet, writer, publicist, community and political leader, taught at the school for eight years with some interruptions. Several exhibitions have been set up in the restored building of the school: pictures and sculptures donated by Dimitur and Nikola Kazakov; timepieces and equipment from the Middle Ages to the beginning of the 20th century from Georgi Vezirov's collection; graphicature by Prof. Ivan Gazdov; pictures by the painter Ivan Popdimitrov; education and enlightenment books and information about the Bulgarian Revival. A classroom from the time when the school welcomed its first students in 1839 has also been restored. Visitors have the opportunity to feel the Revival atmosphere: to write in the sand boxes, to enter the semi-circles hanging from the walls and to read the Bell-Lancaster method charts, or to adorn themselves with the special emblems of praise or punishment.